The Toronto Christmas Market is one the greatest holiday destinations and now traditions in the City of Toronto. It has become a yearly stop for me. The Christmas Market is the place I can go that will put me right in the holiday spirit. With the carolers, the lights, the hot food and drink, the fire pits to warm up around and not to ever be forgotten the always beautiful Christmas tree, donated by Trees Ontario, with all it lights and splendour.
This year was the first year that I enjoyed an evening at the market. It can be a very different experience when the sun is the down and the lights are bright. Previous years I’ve had the great pleasure of attending during the day with my friends who have little ones. With their eyes bright and excited about the big tree, the rides, the hot chocolate and the man himself, Santa Claus, it is a wonderful holiday destination. Yes, this is the place to go and share your wish list the our man Santa Claus. However, don’t worry adults, there are still hot bevvies and yummy spirits for you to enjoy while the kids enjoy a hot chocolate as you all warm up by the fire pits.
But, this year it was just the adults so we got to experience it in a bit of different way. By entering the market from the west side off of Parliament between the buildings onto the cobble stoned walkway, you are met up with a few great FREE treats. Here’s a list to watch out for:
- A little fenced off area where you can enjoy 6 FREE samples from Wine Country Ontario. Th will warm you right up.
- Then head down the way just by Santa Claus and you will find some samples of Natrel egg nog. Oh so creamy
- Right behind that is the American Express Lounge serving some free hot chocolate and apple cider, plus offers a place to warm up.
- Not to be missed is the Mini Wheats Food Truck, giving out samples of hot mini wheats. I had the Crazy Good Cocoa. It was like dessert. Yum!
- In the alley running east off the main square from the tree, you can find free samples of ice cold Coca Cola in a bottle. Doesn’t get better than that.
- And finally, make sure to get in the Beer Gardens to enjoy a beverage and on the weekend evenings you can find from free sampling. Also keep your eye out for the various Hospitality Lounges as they offer other places to enjoy bevvies and free samples.
After and during enjoying all of that, make sure that you just walk around and soak in all the wonderful spirit of this Christmas Market. There is so much yummy food to enjoy from Oktoberfest sausages, pretzels, poutine and some incredible homemade macaroni and cheese with a HUGE spoonful of bacon on top. Plus stop in to all the great little huts with Christmas crafts, cool products and tasty treats.
If you’re looking to get into the Christmas spirit, or you’re already there and just want it all around you, then bundle up (not kidding about this) and make a trip to the Distillery District before Dec. 15th.
© 2013 – 2017, Anne-Marie Marais. All rights reserved.